Posted by on May 6, 2017
Categories: Bay Area

(BANT) – A suspect has been arrested in a 13-year investigation into a Midwest couple found dead in 2004 on a secluded beach in unincorporated Sonoma County, sheriff’s officials announced today.

Deputies arrested 38-year-old Forestville man Shaun Gallon on suspicion of killing Lindsay Cutshall and Jason Allen who had spent the night on a secluded beach in Jenner in August 2004.

“It’s especially joyful to get to this point,” Sonoma County Sheriff Steve Freitas said.

The investigation took a turn in March when Gallon was arrested on suspicion of killing his brother Shamus Gallon in the family’s home on River Road in Forestville.

Following Shaun’s arrest, detectives talked to him again about the killing of the couple and allege he told them information only the couple’s killer could have known, sheriff’s spokeswoman Misti Harris said.

Shaun had been a suspect in the couple’s killing from the beginning because of tips detectives received.

Detectives allegedly have evidence corroborating Shaun’s statements that led to his arrest.

Shaun is in the county jail and is being held on no-bail status in his brother’s slaying. He has not been charged in the couple’s killing.

Detectives plan to ask the district attorney to charge Shaun in the near future, Freitas said.

Sheriff’s officials believe there is no connection between the couple and Shaun.

“We believe it is a random crime and we are confident that there was no connection between them,” Freitas said.

Shamus and the couple were both shot to death with a rifle. A different rifle was used in each killing, sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Spencer Crum said.

The rifle in the couple’s death has not been found, according to Freitas.

Lindsay, 22, was from Ohio and Jason, 26, from Michigan. They were in California working at a Christian youth white water rafting camp in El Dorado County.

When they were found dead, they were on a three-day sightseeing trip in Northern California, Freitas said in a statement.

The couple’s bodies were found by a helicopter crew that had responded to a rescue. The crew didn’t see the two moving and landed the helicopter to find them dead, according to Freitas.

The parents of Lindsay and Jason issued a statement saying they also believe their children’s killer is in custody.

“We praise the Lord for his capture and we trust in the due process of the law,” the statement said.

Both sets of parents called the killing a heartless, senseless and “wicked crime.”