Discarded Cigs Suspected as Cause of House Fire
(BayAreaNewsTalk.com) – Discarded cigarettes are suspected of causing a house fire in Petaluma that displaced a mother and her two teenage children Wednesday evening, a fire battalion chief said.
The fire at 327 Vallejo St. in central Petaluma was reported around 5:30 p.m., Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Holden said.
The single-story wood frame duplex was located behind a house facing the street, Holden said. The porch was burning and flames were coming through a broken window and the open front door of the house when firefighters arrived.
A neighbor held the fire in check with a garden hose, but flames spread to the attic, Holden said.
A 15-year-old girl escaped the home without injury, and the American Red Cross was called to help the family and their two pets find temporary housing, according to Holden.
The discarded burning cigarettes outside the front door ignited a plastic receptacle next to the front porch, Holden said. Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the home’s structure and $10,000 to its contents.
Firefighters from three other agencies responded to three medical aid calls, one vehicle accident and two other fire alarms while the Petaluma Fire Department fought the Vallejo Street blaze, Holden said.