Officials at Facebook say they will meet with a group of upset drag queens at San Francisco City Hall to talk about the social media giant’s policy of requiring people to use their legal names on their accounts.

City supervisor David Campos called for the meeting last Friday after the drag queens said they were locked out of their accounts while using their stage names. The drag queens said they could only access their accounts if they listed their legal names.

A group of drag queens and their supporters had threatened to hold a protest Tuesday morning at the company’s Menlo Park headquarters. Facebook agreed to the meeting late Monday.

In a statement today, Supervisor Campos said, “I am glad that Facebook has accepted our invitation to engage in a meaningful public dialogue with the drag queens and members of the transgender community who have been affected by the profile name policy.”

Facebook officials had said last week that users had several different options for using alternative names on the web site, including putting an alias under their profile name or creating a different page for their alternative persona.

The drag queens say listing their legal names on their profile puts them at risk of being found by family members, co-workers and others with whom they may not want to share the content of their pages.

{ 0 comments }

Police say one person was shot during a robbery in San Francisco’s Mission Terrace neighborhood this morning.

It happened around 7:45 a.m. on Camellia Avenue between Silver and Castle Manor avenues.

The victim was shot during while being robbed by two suspects who fled in a dark-colored vehicle, according to spokesman Officer Gordon Shyy.

The victim was taken to San Francisco General Hospital. Officer Shyy did not yet have any information on that person’s condition.

The suspects remain at large.

{ 0 comments }

Police in Petaluma are looking for a man wanted in connection with a domestic violence incident over the weekend that left a woman seriously injured.

Police say Henry Flores, 30, attacked the 22-year-old victim late Saturday morning in an apartment on Petaluma Boulevard North.

The unidentified woman was left with serious facial injuries, including a laceration that required stitches.

Officers responded to the scene but Flores fled the area before they arrived. Neighbors told police that Flores came back to the apartment that evening and tried to get in, but he again fled before officers were able to get there.

Flores is currently out on bail for a recent auto theft case and is now wanted for felony domestic battery.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Petaluma Police Department at (707) 778-4373 or an anonymous tip line at (855) 847-7247.

{ 0 comments }

A search early this morning for several suspects in Rincon Valley after a shooting was reported overnight.

Santa Rosa police say their officers and Sonoma County sheriff’s deputies searched for the suspects by helicopter around the area of Brush Creek Road near Montecito Boulevard around 3:00 a.m.

Police told residents to lock their doors and stay inside during the search.

It’s not known how many suspects police were looking for. No word if anyone was injured in the shooting.

{ 0 comments }

Police say they’re looking for two men believed to have been involved in a fatal stabbing last night in San Francisco’s Mission District.

Officers say it was reported at 11:49 p.m. near 24th and Capp streets.

The 20-year-old victim was taken to San Francisco General Hospital and was later pronounced dead there.

His name is not being released pending notification of his family.

The suspects are described only as two men in their 20s.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Police Department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with “SFPD” in the message.

{ 0 comments }

Oakland Police used the five year anniversary of the murder of a teenage girl to ask the public for help in finding her killer and to increase the reward for that person’s capture.

Investigators say 17-year-old Desiree Davis was shot and killed on September 7th, 2009 on Gaskill Street.

The Oakland Police Department and Crime Stoppers of Oakland have increased the reward to $25,000 for any information leading to an arrest.

Anyone with information that can help this case is asked to contact the Homicide Investigation Division at (510) 238-3821.

{ 0 comments }

In an effort to reunite people with lost or stolen property, San Rafael Police have launched their own Pinterest page.

The department’s page will be used to post photos of items that have been turned in by the public or found during investigations.

Anyone who sees an item they think is theirs will need to have
proper documentation to verify it, such as a serial number, receipt or police report.

People can visit the website online at www.pinterest.com/sanrafaelpolice.

{ 0 comments }

A 45-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of stabbing another man to death in Vallejo on Friday afternoon, police said.

The stabbing was reported by a citizen in the North Vallejo Community Park on Fairgrounds Drive who called 911 at about 4 p.m., police said.

A witness said the suspect had fled the area on foot, according to police.

California Highway Patrol officers arrived at the scene and notified Vallejo police that they had located the suspect next to King’s Supermarket on Fairgrounds Drive and were taking him into custody, police said.

Vallejo police, American Canyon police and the CHP secured the area while emergency crews arrived and treated the victim.

The 41-year-old male victim, also a resident of Vallejo, was found suffering from multiple stab wounds.

He was transported to a hospital for treatment, but succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Vallejo.

The identity of the victim is being withheld pending notification of his next of kin, police said.

CHP identified the suspect in custody as Vallejo resident Michael Jackson, police said.

Jackson was armed with a knife when officers located him. He was taken into custody without incident and was booked into the Solano County Jail for murder.

The motive for the stabbing remains under investigation.

Vallejo police are investigating the stabbing and are asking anyone who may have seen the incident or who has any information to contact police detectives at (800) 488-9383.

{ 0 comments }

A well-known rap artist from San Diego who was arrested Tuesday afternoon on kidnapping and other charges was released from the Marin County jail Thursday night.

Charles LaSean Mitchell, 40, known as “Mitchy Slick,” was released after the Marin County District Attorney’s Office decided not to file charges against him.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Barry Borden said this afternoon the case is still actively under investigation and charges are not being filed at this time.

Mitchell was suspected of kidnapping a female from Southern California, taking her to Marin County and holding her captive in a residence on Oak Knoll Drive in the Sleepy Hollow area of San Anselmo, Marin County sheriff’s Lt. Doug Pittman said.

The sheriff’s office conducted an early morning SWAT operation and high-risk search warrant on Aug. 22 at a residence at 30 Oak Knoll Drive in San Anselmo.

Mitchell was not at the residence and he turned himself in at the Marin County jail after a Marin County Superior Court Judge issued a $1.5 million arrest warrant on Tuesday.

Mitchell was booked on felony charges of human trafficking, participating in a street gang and kidnapping and a misdemeanor charge of brandishing a firearm. His bail was set at $1.5 million.

The Marin County Sheriff’s Office said Mitchell is suspected of being an active member of the Lincoln Park Bloods criminal street gang in San Diego. The gang has a history of weapons violations, pimping, assaults and homicides against law enforcement officers, Pittman said.

Pittman said Wednesday the sheriff’s office is investigating how Mitchell is associated with the Sleepy Hollow residence or its owners.

Pittman was not available for comment Friday on Mitchell’s connection to the residence and the nature of his relationship with the Southern California woman he allegedly kidnapped.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Barry Borden said today he could not comment on the investigation or provide details why charges were not filed.

{ 0 comments }

The San Francisco Public Library system announced Friday an increase in the amount of time users can reserve for Internet-enabled computers.

As of September 5, computer users will be able to reserve up to two one-hour sessions per day. The previous limit was one hour per day.

The second reserved hour now available to users will be contingent upon availability, according to a library system release.

Library officials said the increased time availability is in response to need and popular demand and will provide better service and utilization of library resources.

The Main Library at 100 Larkin St. also has increased time limits on Internet Express computers. Patrons will be able to use the computers for 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes.

Free Wi-Fi is available for library cardholders and non-cardholders at all of the library system’s branches.

Officials said patrons can request to borrow a laptop computer for use in the library when desktop computers are not available.

{ 0 comments }

Eleven Injured, Building Red-Tagged After Bus Hits Duplex

September 5, 2014

Eleven people were injured, a house severely damaged and a gas line broken when an AC Transit bus drove into a home in Richmond tonight following a collision with a fleeing stolen car, according to police. The collision occurred shortly after 5:30 p.m. when a Richmond police officer spotted a stolen maroon Honda, according to Lt. Andre Hill. […]

Read the full article →

Oakland Mayor Says City Will Not Host Urban Shield Conference Next Year

September 5, 2014

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan said today that a disaster preparedness conference and training exercise that drew protests this evening will not take place in Oakland next year. The Urban Shield Conference, an event that brings together local, state and federal agencies as well as private equipment vendors and companies, drew several hundred protestors concerned with increasing police militarization to downtown […]

Read the full article →

Ex-Con Gets 26-Years to Life for Murdering Woman in 2012

September 5, 2014

An ex-convict was sentenced at a dramatic hearing today to 26 years to life in state prison for fatally stabbing a 26-year-old Berkeley woman at an East Oakland apartment complex in 2012. In sentencing 36-year-old Jamaal Prince of Berkeley the death of Jennifer Kingeter at an apartment at 5800 Walnut St. in Oakland at about 2:30 a.m. on Dec. […]

Read the full article →

Man Suspected of Trying to Kidnap Teenage Girl Arrested

September 5, 2014

A man suspected of trying to kidnap a 15-year-old girl as she walked home from school in Richmond last month was arrested on Thursday night, a police lieutenant said today. Joshua Mann, 30, was arrested at his Richmond home around 5:45 p.m. Thursday after a resident who had seen his photo on television spotted him and called 911, Richmond […]

Read the full article →

Former Furniture Store Owner Arrested After Customers Complain of Rip-Offs

September 5, 2014

A man who owned furniture stores in San Jose, Gilroy and Vacaville was arrested Wednesday in Santa Clara County on grand theft charges after he allegedly failed to deliver merchandise customers had paid for, according to the district attorney’s office. Hung Anh “Peter” Troung was taken into custody Wednesday on suspicion of 10 felony counts of grand theft and […]

Read the full article →